Logo

Running Mercury Outboard on muffs

brock71

I ran my 2003 Mercury 200 HP carbed engine on muffs and a garden hose.
Ran about 30 seconds.
Never got water out the hole a the top.
Plenty of water out holes in the lower unit.
Is this normal?
John

Had that same problem with a customer's motor a few weeks ago and burnt out his brand new impeller. Hard to believe all that water blasting in there would not at least keep the impeller wet, but... I've since rigged up a clamp deal to force ALL of the water through the LU with minimal leakage.

I hope you impeller is not burnt, but you'll need to dunk it in a bucket (or lake) to make sure. It SHOULD pump regardless of how you're feeding water to it.

Good luck!

Jeff

look at these at west marine..i dont like to use muffs but these are the best i have..soft rubber plus a pin through them that go through lower unit water intake and that keeps them from slipping..
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/mercury-marine--flushing-attachments--P006_180_009_506

Last edited:
I've only run this boat twice. I think I noticed it did not start to pee out the top right away when it was in the water.
I'm hoping its the thermostat issue and my impeller is OK.
I'm shrink-wrapped now
Will find out in May

Thanks.
John

Agreed. A barrel is far better than muffs. With a barrel you are sure the pump is working, and that the water coming out isn't due to city (or well) water pressure.

Jeff

Back