Logo

Merc 115hp Tower of Power - battery jump starter use

mplen2955

Hi all-

Just bought a new battery - its a marine battery with about 850 mca. I haven't used my boat in 8 mo (82 Merc 115hp inline 6) and as you guys know the Tower of Powers can be difficult; so, it's not turning over enough now to start - cranking slowly.

I'm poor and can't afford to put a bunch of money in to batteries. Was thinkng, can I use a 700 or 1000 amp Stanley jump starter? just to assist the battery until I get it running?? Or would this damage the motors electronics?

Also, isn't 850 enough cranking amps? I have a document and for a Merc up to 125 hp it recommends 450 cranking amps.

Thank you for any info you can provide!!! Want to get my motor running :)

Even a small battery will spin that beast over easily IF al is well. You might try cleaning the armature and oiling the bushings in the starter. I've saved a few that way.

Jeff

Those starters are easily taken apart / inspected / repaired.-----I install new brushes all the time $5.00 a set from local starter / alternator shop.

Those starters are easily taken apart / inspected / repaired.-----I install new brushes all the time $5.00 a set from local starter / alternator shop.

Thanks for this info - I'm no mechanic so, stupid questions. The starter, is that the cranking motor? I have an electronic manual with 5 pixels per inch resolution :) and they don't say much about a starter but there is a large section on the cranking motor. (I can usually figure things out if I know i'm working on the right thing ...:)

Back