PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing

Kevin S
10-13-2015, 03:30 PM
Is it necessary to remove the therostat when flushing engine with anti freese?

bondo
10-14-2015, 05:21 AM
Donno,.... I drain everything, 'n store dry,....

Air don't freeze,....

chawk_man
10-14-2015, 07:06 AM
What kind of engine?

Kevin S
10-14-2015, 08:23 PM
chev block inboard

chawk_man
10-15-2015, 06:20 AM
It depends on what type of cooling system you have. If it's a pure raw water cooling system where raw water cools the entire engine, yes, it's a good idea to remove the t-stat before flushing.

If the engine cooling system uses a heat exchanger where the raw water is pumped in a heat exchanger then that raw water is pushed out through the manifolds and risers, there is no need to fool with the t-stat because the engine coolant, which also runs through the heat exchanger to be cooled should have permanent anti-freeze in it. This type of set up is just like an auto engine, except for having a radiator that is cooled by air flow, it has a heat exchanger cooled by raw water.

Kevin S
10-15-2015, 08:47 PM
It depends on what type of cooling system you have. If it's a pure raw water cooling system where raw water cools the entire engine, yes, it's a good idea to remove the t-stat before flushing.

If the engine cooling system uses a heat exchanger where the raw water is pumped in a heat exchanger then that raw water is pushed out through the manifolds and risers, there is no need to fool with the t-stat because the engine coolant, which also runs through the heat exchanger to be cooled should have permanent anti-freeze in it. This type of set up is just like an auto engine, except for having a radiator that is cooled by air flow, it has a heat exchanger cooled by raw water.

Thanks for the information I have removed the thermostat

Kevin S
10-15-2015, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the information before flushing raw water system with coolant I removed the thermostat

bondo
10-19-2015, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the information before flushing raw water system with coolant I removed the thermostat

Ayuh,.... Did you Drain it before ya ran antifreeze through it,..??

If Not,... Ya didn't winterize it,.....