Logo

70hp Mariner unstable at low rpm (Video)

Hi,
got our first boat this summer, an 80's 16 ft hard top, just for trying out boat life. The enginge, 70hp Mariner, 2-stroke, 3-cyl from 1979, has worked fine except for a few occasions (of seemingly increasing frequency) where it has been running unstable below a certain rpm threshold. It starts fine at the first or second attempt, but runs with some "unstableness", when I slowly increase the throttle, I reach a pretty evident threshold where the unstable engine sound transform into a smooth, spinning, "healty engine" sound. My tachometer is disconnected, but I'd say its around approximately 20-25% throttle, which gives 10-12 knots of speed. After a while's running, returning to dock, and turning the throttle down below the rpm threshold, the engine usually start sounding even more unstable than in the beginning, when cold. This phenomenon has been more prominent the last 5-8 times we've been using the boat. At one point did i get a complete stall at almost idle rpm, when throwing the anchor at slow speed...

This video shows the engine and the sound just after returning to dock after a 45-min run. You can see the whole engine shake at the point of almost stalling: https://vimeo.com/141407456

Any ideas?
I'll bring the boat up for winter in a couple of weeks, and my intention was to do the regular maintenance such as change oil, impeller, etc. I was also thinking to try cleaning the carburators to see if that could be the problem. I'm pretty good with mechanics and electronics, but haven't done engines before...

Edit; It might actually be two separate problems because the almost-stalling-problem (seen in the video) is pretty new, but the unstable/uneven runing seen at low rpm's has been much longer.

Here is also a sound recording during acceleration with the transition between unstable - stable engine audible. Not the best recording but if you listen carefully you can hear the engine sound shift in character around 00:07-09, and 00:54-56. https://clyp.it/vc2wztgs

Last edited:
It sounds like a cylinder is cutting in and out. Could be a bad switch box, trigger coil, ignition coil, coil wire or even a plug. Try a new set of plugs FIRST. You might get lucky.

Jeff

It sounds like a cylinder is cutting in and out. Could be a bad switch box, trigger coil, ignition coil, coil wire or even a plug. Try a new set of plugs FIRST. You might get lucky.

Jeff

Thank you fastjeff,
I think the plugs were new when we bough it, about 3 months ago, but I'll check and replace them. Since all cylinders seem to run fine at higher rpms my brief understanding of engines tells me there is a more complex problem than the plugs or wires, or can you explain how this can work?
Assuming the problem lies within the switch box, trigger or ignition coils - should I simply replace one part after another until it runs fine, or is there some simple way of diagnosing the parts electrically? I have a decent multimeter for what it's worth... You didn't mention the stator - you don't think it is the problem?

Thanks

The stator merely supplies the 300 or so volts. It's possible that it's doing this intermittently, but unlikely.

New plugs can fail, so try that first.

Jeff

Did the pre season servicing a few weeks ago. Changed impeller, fuel filter and plugs. The old plugs were ok, but the lowest was wet (altough no engine start for 5-6 months). Could the lowest cylinder get flooded somehow, causing it cutting in and out? Anyway, I changed them and it later started fine, as usual. Have only been running on low speed since, a couple of minutes around the dock, so I haven't really been able to replicate the problem yet. Plan on doing in a couple of weeks.

I'm thinking this issue might be linked with this issue, same motor, lower carb possibly flooding:
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...e-carb-flooding-79-Mercury-70hp-3cyl&p=537300

Ok, so things are moving slowly, but now I finally got around taking a longer ride. First let it idle for about 10 minutes, without any apparent problems. The next day I took her out for a 20-30 min ride, in different rpms from idle forward to WOT. Still no apparent problems except a stall in the very beginning when putting in the reverse. So good for now I guess. Except that the carbs are flooding or leaking somehow; see my other thread; http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...ding-79-Mercury-70hp-3cyl&p=537306#post537306

Back