Logo

Intermittent Power to the trolling motor

okratpack

Hey guys. I have a motorguide 12 volt 46lb Thrust foot controlled trolling motor Model# 921310120. The issue I am having is when I put it on high and start running it, it will go for about 20 seconds and then beginning stopping and starting. It does that over and over again. I can stop running it for a minute or so and then start again and it will go for about 15 seconds and then begin stopping and starting again. It is like the motor is getting intermittent power. Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is a switch of some sort heating up and then cutting in and out? However, I have never worked on these so I don't even know if there is such a switch. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks in advance! Have a great night.

when you say on high do you mean your are bypassing the pedal switch and it is just running through the switch on the side of the pedal?or are you putting the switch on number 5 and still using the pedal switch for start-stop?

Feel around for heat in the wires and controls resistance equals heat. How long are the wires and are they the proper guage wire? Are the wires tinned marine grade?
Are you talking about the wires that go from the trolling motor control at the front of the boat to the battery at the back?

when you say on high do you mean your are bypassing the pedal switch and it is just running through the switch on the side of the pedal?or are you putting the switch on number 5 and still using the pedal switch for start-stop?
I am still using the pedal switch for start-stop.

the switch is wrapped in a clear moisture/water proofing plastic looking covering ...this stuff wears through limiting travel of the switch when pressing the pedal... the switch is mounted by small bolts and nuts with not enough slop to adjust and make up for this limited travel...you can replace the switch but you can also fix it with a small dowel rod that you can cut to the correct length...you have to get into it and figure this out...its been years since i have done that..

a bad battery connection or external wiring is still your best bet....another possibility is water in the motor...if that is the case it usually is a pile of rusted junk by the time it fails if in fresh water...

Back