Logo

1975 85hp distributor to plugs wiring

wjcap4

Contributing Member
Could someone tell me the wiring diagram for a 1975 merc 85hp from distributor to plugs. I'm not sure if I mixed something up. Serial #4095288. There is nothing in Seloc book.

Earlier sixes firing order is 1 6 4 2 5 3 Later ones are 1 4 5 2 3 6 (and I THINK that includes yours).

Sorry that I can't be more certain.

Jeff

yes, the wires placement from distributor to plugs. I know the plugs are 1-4 from top to bottom, but I may have messed up the distributor.

Those wires SCREW in, by the way.

Jeff
Yes, thank you. I had found that out the hard way. That'show I got in this fix. I had found one of the wires pulled out after blowing a lower unit. replaced the lower unit, but I couldn't get it to start. I replaced the spring and brush in the distributor which there was nothing left of. Now I have replaced the wires and still no luck. It had always been a little tough to start the first time, but once it got going there were no problems throughout the day. But, now I can't seem to fire it up at all?

So back to the start,check your battery grounds,tight and shiny,and charged.Make sure you have 12v+ at key
Check for spark,no spark disconnect the mercury tilt switch,check spark.Pull distributor cap for cracks,give it a wipe.Make sure the brush and spring are properly in.Don't want to think about the trigger or rotor yet,but give it the once overlook at the contacts and edge of rotor.
Check fuel,plugs getting wet? Check compression.Good luck

Last edited:
She Lives! Got all the wires straightened out, thanks to all of your help, sprayed some starting fluid in the carbs and it started up. It now starts and stops as it should with the fuel line only. Once again, thank you all for the help.

Back