Logo

Honda 225hp Vertical Shaft Damaged

Seachaser

Regular Contributor
I had the dreaded vertical bearing failure. In the process of swapping out the Middle housing I discovered the Vertical Shaft is also damaged. My question can it be fixed or am I stuck with having to purchase another shaft?

IMG_20150919_142303.jpgIMG_20150918_133219.jpgIMG_20150919_142247.jpg2013-03-24_194448_honda_vertical_shaft.jpgItem #15

Last edited:
I have a 30" shaft priced right if you need one. I'm thinking you prob should replace it, cuz you may cause further damage to the midshaft housing

Look into putting a sleeve on it.-------Then you would just have to replace the sleeve next time.-------------------Note , manufacturers have little concern on ease of repair to their product.-------------Buy a new one is the modern thought here.

You might be able to get away with JB weld on it, get it smoothed out nicely,them keep an eye on it. Prob need to replace bushing more frequently...my 2 cents if $$$ is the issue

I would venture a guess that a capable machine shop can add material back to the shaft and machine and polish it to like-new for a fee. I've seen more done with less.

You're welcome. Just trying to carry my weight around here :) Be aware that there are three types of places you can take this. 1) A boat yard who will give you a reference for a top-dollar shop that will get it done perfect ($$$) 2) A local machine shop that has the equipment to get it done (low speed lathe, trained welder and newer equipment, knowledge of materials) ($$) and of course 3) Jerry's Garage - may or may not know what the hell they're doing but with some coaching might could Git R Dun ($.5 which could turn into $$$ if you have to scrap it).

How would you spin it in a lathe ?--------Would have to come apart to do that.---------Look into a sleeve to put on it !!

Back