Logo

48HP Evinrude J48ESLESA

bfrernch82

Hopefully this problem will fix itself tomorrow when I take it on the water but that is just the optimist in me. When hooked up out of the water to a hose the motor starts up normally. When I put in in gear and give it throttle it revs normally. When I back off the throttle the motor doesn't seem to respond and stays at a high RPM. I have to kill the switch to stop it from running so fast. When I immediately start it back up it is at a low idle again. All the throttle linkages seem to respond just fine and push and pull on the carb as you would expect. Any ideas of what could be causing this? I have not ran this motor in 2 years but when I took it off the water last time it ran perfectly. I would appreciate any help or suggestions I could get. The optimist in me wants to believe its having issues because its not in the water with the back pressure of the water on the drive shaft. I pretty much know this is going to be false but I cant seem to understand what would cause this if the throttle is backed off and verified via someone watching the linkage when I do it. Its model number is J48ESLESA. Thanks again.

I suggest that you post this on the Johnson Evinrude Forum on this site. Go to the top left of this page, click on "Forum Home" then click on the first forum - Johnson Evinrude.

Back