Logo

Tach conection engine

B

Bob Hankins

" I am looking for info. on co

" I am looking for info. on connecting a tachometer to engine. 1979 Evinrude elect. start,35hp. Thanks, Bob. "

"The OMC (Evinrude/Johnson

"The OMC (Evinrude/Johnson) tachometers would require that your engine has a charging system that incorporates a rectifier..... on your engine, that would be a small round cylinder metal type object with a triangular sort of base that secured to the engine with two screws. Usually one screw is a 7/16" hex head screw, with the other one being a 5/16" hex head screw, but the type of screws may vary. On the back of the tach, there is a dial with numbers on it... set that dial to number six (6).

At the tach, the "Black" wire connects to ground. The "Purple" wire connects to any wire that shows 12v but ONLY when the ignition key is in the ON position. The "Gray" wire connects to the Yellow wire that has a Gray stripe at the rectifier I mentioned. That Yellow/Gray wire, may already be connected to a "Gray" wire at the rectifier, and that "Gray" wire may already exist at the dash portion of the engine wiring harness which makes the connection easy. Hope this helps you some.
(Joe - 30+ years with OMC)"

Back