Logo

Help a poor a unlucky fool

328is

I was at a cottage and crashed by friends sea doo into my friends boat (2002 islandia bombardier). Made a crack about 40 centimeters long at the back corner of the boat.
Crack doesnt go past the black trim and into the hull.
I am getting 2g quotes. Not happening.
I know something about body repair. I am thinking about taking a dremel and cutting a 1 inch slice of the left side of the crack, and 3 inches at the bottom of the crack so I can fit my hand inside. From inside ill place fiberglass cloth and resin all along the backside of the crack. Then pretty much follow this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HGXnJjSZmA

20150617_173000.jpg

do your friends know about the damage ?? are they ok with you doing the repair ?? I take it no one wants the insurance company involved ??

do your friends know about the damage ?? are they ok with you doing the repair ?? I take it no one wants the insurance company involved ??

yes and sort of, im trying to convince them its possible DIY. Haven't asked about insurance....I need to know is this possible to repair, is it structural, what difficulties will I encounter. examples of botched jobs? thx

no , no, and no....!! you still have to paint the entire top due to sun fade, AND, you have to re decal to make it "whole" . all parties involved had better reconsider and call the insurance before any more time lapses !! all you are going to do is make it worse.

no , no, and no....!! you still have to paint the entire top due to sun fade, AND, you have to re decal to make it "whole" . all parties involved had better reconsider and call the insurance before any more time lapses !! all you are going to do is make it worse.

how much do you think insurance will go up. Friend who has no clue about insurance thinks itll go up every month 100$ for 5 years and be waaay more than 2g in the long run. (2g is the quote i got for getting it fixed. Btw this is in Canada.

im trying to convince them its possible DIY.

Ayuh,..... It'll take a very talented Diy'er, who's Very well equipped with the various Tools it takes for such a repair,....

Looks like the hull needs to be separated, the top fixed, 'n then put back together, painted, 'n decaled,....

Ayuh,..... It'll take a very talented Diy'er, who's Very well equipped with the various Tools it takes for such a repair,....

Looks like the hull needs to be separated, the top fixed, 'n then put back together, painted, 'n decaled,....

im less concerned with getting a good paint job and decals, than fixing the crack. Any helpful tips and strategies helps. its a 2003 islandia, i can't find any schematics for it online so taking off the top hull is not happening.

I would just grind about 4 inches on both sides or the crack just about all the way through at the crack and just layer some 1.5oz mat wet on wet and with a god custom made curved block shape it to the top once cured. I doubt it is structural you can coat it with a brush on gelcoat. If you mess up you can allways grind it off and do it again. Wet on wet allows you to get alot of fiber there for strength. Resin is brittle by itself.

thanks I feel hope now. Been looking online tonight and I think im going to do like this

Prep.
I'll start by cutting off the damaged fiberglass. making that crack a long thin hole.
Then Dewax surface.
Then use 36 grit disk to sand the edges of the hole plus 3 inchs either side. Ill chamfer the edges for a bevel edge.
Acetone rag clean the surface

Repair.
Start with 6 ounce cloth and then 1.5 ounce mat.Use polyestor or vinyl resin. Plie the layers in sets of 3-4. QUESTION: do I need a laminating resin with between the resins??
PVA last resin to seal gelcoat.
Sand
Paint

Missing anything important?

Managed to do it over 2 days. And I had zero experience in this other than doing bondo work on my trunk lip a while back.
Like I figured out before hand.
1. Sand it down
2. layer fiberglass (used mostly the cloth on the thin hole, mat is for adding thickness)
3.sanded that down
4.gelcoat
5.finishing sanding
6.polish (not really needed).

Seal in ceramic wrap the last layer of gelcoat. Gelcoat doesn't cure to air. Also you'll need an orbital sander, not one of those cheap square vibrater that couldn't get a clit a foot big, off. As for the decal, it was a sticker, so I just cut it and sharpied the edge. To blend the area i sanded the gelcoat around more. The sun will tinge it eventually but only I can notice that. Also do not try to do gelcoat layer at night, bugs will stick in it. Gelcoat takes a good 3-5 hours to be able to work on it.

materials
130$-epoxy and MEKP catalyst, fiberglass cloth 5 ounce, 1 ounce mat, gelcoat paste, brush, acetone.
tools
300$-dremel, orbiter sander, plaster scraper, extension cord, lamp light, exacto knife.
gas-100$ (300km one way trip)

530 and some time in a pleasant cottage view doing some sanding and waiting, vs forking out 3000 or more for some shop. Easy. RESPECT,priceless.
1435520535748.jpg1435632893745.jpg

Back