Logo

Engine not getting gas

Wcummins1313

I bought a cheap pontoon with the hopes of fixing it up. I got everything cleaned and fixed up and ran the motor with no problem. Now that I have it in the like (of course) I'm having motor problems. The motor is a late 70's/early 80's 25 horse Mariner. I can get it started with the choke on and it will run for a minute or two before it putters out. I can extend this a little bit if I pump the ball more. Now I am not a mechanical genious, but I know it's not getting gas. I started at the tank and looked at the tube that goes into the engine and found no cracks or blockage. I replaced the whole fuel line/ball and fittings. I also replaced the fuel filter....but it still won't run. I am nearing the end of my knowledge... So I have two questions:

1. I followed the fuel line from the gas filter and found this plastic diaphragm looking thing. What is this? It looks in crappy condition. Could this be my problem?

2. If that isn't the problem, where do I go next?

Thanks in advance,

Clueless Minnesota Mechanic.

Ayuh,..... Check the tank's diptube, 'n anti-siphon valve at the outlet,... Might be crud,....

Is there good clean fresh gas in the tank,..??

Back