Logo

Questions about aluminum boat restoration

This is the FIRST step I'm taking towards my FIRST boat resto. I'm no stranger to restoration of classics, I restore old muscle cars. I have an 18ft 1967 Starcraft Holiday deep v. This boat spends long days on the water fishing, takes on zero water, it's really a great reliable old boat. The floor is soft in 2 spots, and the awful cream green paint on the hull is all scratched up faded. The dark green interior is not great either.

Basically what I want to do is repaint the hull a 2 tone light gray/blue or red color like the newer Starcrafts and convert my interior to a light gray. Now my questions:

Boats on a trailer, what's the best way to go about painting this thing?

When I pull the floor up, I've heard people saying to spray some kind of sealer on the inside of the hull. Is this necessary? What type should I use?

And last, this boat is a classic, but from what I've researched old boats don't gain value through nostalgia, or collector value (unless it's a chris craft) like cars do. Am I making a bad call changing the originality of the boat? This boat, aside from the motor, is all original.

Back