Logo

Chrysler LM318B Ignition Problem

jason

Contributing Member
" The engine is a 1976 LM318B

" The engine is a 1976 LM318B it has electronic ignition. After approximately 1.5 hours running at 3200-3400 rpm the engine lost power and would only run below 2400 rpm. The water temp was in the green, the oil pressure and temp where normal, I observed the fuel flow was uninterrupted during the malfunction. Having ample parts aboard - I installed another ignition coil. This fixed the problem for 1 more hour of running and then it did the same thing. I next installed a ballast resistor and it ran fine for the duration of the trip (another 1/2 hr). If the problem is coil overheating, is the ballast resistor the culprit? I have only ever heard of a ballast resistor failing in the start no running mode not the 12 volt all the time mode. Is there other components I should suspect or test? "

" Suspect the electronic ignit

" Suspect the electronic ignition. Is there a electronics module that you can try replacing?

Are your wires in good shape? Is your distributer cap, if you have one, in good shape and dry? "

I am going to try the ECU whi

I am going to try the ECU which is the module you are talking about. Some say they can act up when hot. Less than 10 hours on the new cap/rotor/wires etc.

" I replaced my ignition (

" I replaced my ignition (Not the distributor) with a MSD high output, multi spark unit which is designed primarily for trucks. I think it was the 6A model. The engine runs like a new engine. This is the 3rd year and I have had NO problems at all. I highly reccomend it. Just mount the unit where it will stay dry. It's an epoxy sealed unit but it's not specifically for marine use. "

Back