Logo

Mercury Thunderbolt 650 - Shift and Throttle Cable Problems

Nytecall

My buddy and I came back from a deployment a month ago and went in on a project boat together. (This is both of our first times owning a boat) We picked up a 73 Ranger with a new trailer and a 60hp Gale Sovereign, we swapped out the Gale for a Merc TB 650 (without a hoist...terrible time). Got everything mounted and wired up but when it came time to hook up the Throttle and Shift cables we have had zero luck getting it to work right. I'll list the problems below:

1. Throttle only moves about 1/5 of the total distance
2. Shift has trouble making it all the way back to Reverse
3. When shifting the Throttle is pulled slightly at the same time

Are the cables bad or did we completely skip something.

Side note we are still using the same steering cable and were able to get full turn on both sides with some adjustments, but we have to disconnect it to tilt the motor up when transporting. Do i need to get a whole new cable setup or can it be modified to allow the motor to be tilted and locked.

Thanks for the help I hope to overtime learn somethings and contribute more on this forum.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard, 'n Thank you for yer service,....

Are you usin' the Gale controller,..??
If so, ya need a Merc controller, 'n cables,....

Post a picture of the front of the motor, so We can see yer steerin' cable set-up,....

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard, 'n Thank you for yer service,....

Are you usin' the Gale controller,..??
If so, ya need a Merc controller, 'n cables,....

Post a picture of the front of the motor, so We can see yer steerin' cable set-up,....

So since I oringally posted I have done a few things:

1: Here are the specs on this outboard

1971 Mercury 650 Thunderbolt
S/N: 3000628

Cables are both OEM Teleflex CC17912

Mercontoller Two Shifters

2:

- I took the controller apart (no wear or broken parts and is well greased)

-I moved the gears when it was open manually and the cables responded great

-When assembled however the shifter responds nicely throwing her into Nuetral and Forward, however she will not get her into reverse. At the engine if i disconnect the cables I can manually throw it into reverse with a lot of effort unlike N and F which snap into gear easily.

-The throttle seems to only want to move about 75% of the total pull required to go full throttle.

3. A few other things I find odd:

-when in Reverse I CANNOT move the prop by handle either direction, I get about half a turn with a single click before it locks CCW.

-If i push the shifter well beyond what should throw it into reverse, my throttle goes full throttle but does not move the other lever.

Basically I'm out of ideas at this point I'm on the border of replacing Mercontrol and Cables, but I don't want to do that and relize it was something else $500 later.

Back