Logo

SeaStar Sport Tilt versus Classic Tilt Steering Helm

CRSole

I'm new to the forum. I have a 1993 Barefoot Sanger that has steering cables where the shielding back by the motor has split so need to be replaced. I opted to upgrade to a SeaStar hydraulic system to fix this issue and make steering the boat easier. Here's what I've ordered and received:

Helm HH6192-3

Ram HC6845S

Kevlar hose kit HO5718

The helm is the sport tilt 2.4 ci and has 3.5 wheel revolutions lock-to-lock (according to boat service shop). I think this ci will be ok but there are two issues that I've found since I received the helm (have not installed yet):

- Sport tilt helm requires a remote vent/fill plug so an extra hole to be drilled in dash above helm (must be higher than helm) whereas classic tilt has the vent/fill plug just behind steering wheel. This could be an eyesore seeing this plug on top of the dash and I'm not too fond of drilling unnecessary holes in this classic boat.
- Sport tilt helm appears to have a boot that will allow water seepage just under steering wheel whereas the classic tilt appears to have an elbow style boot that seals the steering shaft. I'm concerned about corrosion after a few years of use.

One other difference I've found is that the sport tilt only requires a 3 inch hole in the dash whereas the classic tilt requires a 4.5 inch hole.

So anyway I have done many searches for reviews about these helms to no avail. Can anyone give me some good advice on these two types and why I might select one versus the other?

I've attached some images from the seastar site showing the boot differences.
1-Sp_Helm_dim.gifclassic_tilt_01a.jpgclassic-tilt.pngsport_tilt_01a.jpgsport-tilt1.jpg

Thanks!

Back