Logo

big engine added.....steering stiff

crankbait

Regular Contributor
I have a 1987 20ft StarCraft that had a 115 merc on it. I replaced it with a Evinrude 175. since the swap, the steering has become stiffer. I can disconnect the cable, and the wheel turns freely. When the boat is under power the stiffness is not so bad. in no wake zones and docking.....very stiff. Yes I have done the basic lube of the fittings. I just assumed that the added weight of the larger engine is the culprit ? any suggestions or upgrades that I can make ?

the engine will swing free, but it just does not flip flop due to what I assumed is it big size. you do have to move it side to side with both hands when you do.

that is what I am interested in. what is a better steering system and where should I start looking ? are there any steering assist assy. available, do I need to replace my assembly from my steering wheel to the engine ? I have no idea what direction to go ?

I wanted to follow up on my stiff steering. with the help of a buddy, I had him rotate the engine side to side with the cable removed entirely, as I lubed it. things started getting better as the grease came out of the joints. since I had the help, I just pulled the entire cable assembly out of the boat. my logic was , due to the age, and the history of the boat being from salt water, I just ordered an entire new replacement assembly. pain in the butt to install, but holy crap !!! even with the kicker motor tied into the big motor, it is like having power steering !! I guess my lesson learned here is.....first look at how old all of the items involved are.......including me !! thxx guys !!

Back