Logo

transom cracked on searay seville

mike denz

I just acquired a 1989 searay seville with a 3.0 litre mercruiser i/o package. The boat has a cracked transom around the outdrive due to an obstacle impact to the lower end while skiing according to the previous owner. The rest of the hull is in great shape and over $2k was put in the motor less than a year ago. I paid nothing for the boat and would like to get it seaworthy again. Is this a repair I can tackle myself? I'm trying to avoid a large repair bill and am pretty handy, just don't know where to start. Would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone that has experience in this type of repair. Thanks, Mike

I just acquired a 1989 searay seville with a 3.0 litre mercruiser i/o package. The boat has a cracked transom around the outdrive due to an obstacle impact to the lower end while skiing according to the previous owner. The rest of the hull is in great shape and over $2k was put in the motor less than a year ago. I paid nothing for the boat and would like to get it seaworthy again. Is this a repair I can tackle myself? I'm trying to avoid a large repair bill and am pretty handy, just don't know where to start. Would greatly appreciate any feedback from anyone that has experience in this type of repair. Thanks, Mike

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard Mike,....

Ya start by pullin' what's left of the Outdrive,....
Then ya pull the motor, followed by pullin' the transom assembly from the hull,...

After that, ya cut out all the rotten wood areas, 'n put new wood back in, finishin' it all off it fiberglass, 'n resin,...

Then ya reinstall the transom assembly, drop in the motor, align it, 'n slap on a new drive yer gonna buy,...

After which,...... Ya go Boatin',...... ;)

Back