Logo

Advice needed on steerring for 200hp mercury on 18ft boat

Keithm18

Regular Contributor
Hi All.

I'm running a 200Hp merc V6 on my 18ft bowrider.

i have a "non hydraulic" system on the outboard at the moment. really tough to turn some times and get a lot of torque steer at lower speeds.

got a scare a few weeks back when i hit someone elses wake at a pretty high speed and the steering was ripped from my hands and the boat just took off left. Scared the cr&p out of me and unsettled my passengers.

i want to replace the system with one that will elminate the torque steer and keep pointing where i put it. I'm not looking for power assisted.

was thinking hydraulic but they are really pricy. Came across the Cable no feedback system from Teleflex which is a fraction of the price.

Is this cable NFB system any good or i should I sell a kidney and buy the Hydraulic system?

thanks, Keith

Ayuh,.... The NFB helm will help,....

Have ya adjusted the torque tab on the motor, just above the prop,..??

Try a different prop, that can also help,...

if you really want to "eliminate" the "steering torque" a hydraulic system is the best solution...new probably ~ $800-900 for the parts....you can sometimes find them used (fleabay) or check for local marine salvage yards...deals turn up but you need to find them and have the cash.

For high hp outboards, you are best with a hydraulic steering system, but they are pricey. At the very least, you should be using a dual cable rack&pinion system.

Back