Logo

deck resurfacing.

woolybear

I have removed all the old and very shabby interior carpet from a older SeaRay. I plan to replace it with a non slip painted surface on top of the fully exposed lightly glassed plywood deck. Does anyone know or can anyone recommend a suitable (light grey) non slip textured surface finish paint or epoxy. The surface we're going to be painting is old and has residue from the old carpet backing / glue on it - nor is it completely damage / blemish free. The primary goal is to end up with a low maintenance easily cleaned fishing boat. Much more utility / industrial and not necessarily fashionable or cosmetically appealing, it just needs to be safe and look tidy and uniform.

I haven't tried it yet, but I hear lots of good things about KiwiGrip non-skid. If you Google KiwiGrip, you'll find a lot reports on it.

I've used KiwiGrip, and it is a decent deck surface, and relatively easy to apply if you follow the instructions closely. It's not easy on bare feet because of it's rather aggressive "knobs". But you can thin it out if you need to. It goes on like a thick yogurt, and you use a special "comb" to spread it out. I put it on over painted fiberglass that had been sanded down. However, I'm not sure how it would do on wood. On the Internet, you can find several videos on application. Jamestown Distributors sells it, and there are a lot of FAQ's and Q&A's about it on their sight.

On of the really nice things about KiwiGrip is that if it gets damaged, you can paint over the damage and it blends right in with the original coat.

I forgot to mention that KiwiGrip dries very fast, so you only work on a relatively small area at a time. Experiment with it on a piece of scrap plywood before doing it on your deck.

Another vote for KiwiGrip. I will be redoing the non skip areas in the cockpit of my Sea Ray 390 this spring. I was able to have my local paint guy tint it to match the gelcoat.

I would suggest a thorough cleaning and the proper prep and then awlgrip with one of it's non skid additives....won't be cheap but will last a long time and be a dream to clean off...just follow the directions to the letter.

Back