Logo

Drawing/Sketch for 228 Mercruiser Engine MOC-up

lakedrifter

Good morning fellow boaters,

I'm currently in a full restoration of a 21ft - 1977 Searay Cuddy Cabin.

A little on how I got here. This started out as a gas tank project due to sludge in the tank. The boat would never plane out and I knew she was having issues. Once I started messing with the tank, the project went to a full restoration rather quickly. Not only did the tank have sludge in it but the floor had numerous soft spots and one complete cave-in behind the captains chair..

To catch you up:
1) The entire floor has been removed, I also found that the 2lb foam was more like 50lb foam, soaked from years of abuse
2) Gas tank removed. I found 5 pinky size holes in the aluminum gas tank. I can only assume it was caused from salt water, and I can only say that because I have noticed salt damage on the railings and other areas.
3) Engine and outdrive and all accessories removed. Something told me to check the transom. It was soaked half way up. I remove the entire transom.

Where I'm at:
1) Transom has been replaced and re-glassed. Tabbed with 1708 and 2 layers of 1708 applied
2) Stringers are tabbed in (except for in the cabin). Same method as transom.
3) I’m currently trying to mock up my engine bed

#3 brings me to my question. Does anyone have a drawing for a mock-up 228 Mercruiser engine? I think that would be easier and much safer to work with then the bare block via chain hoist.

keep it easy....

lakedrifter

Ayuh,..... Have ya redrilled the holes for the transom assembly,..??

While you can find installation manuals in the Mercruiser links in Don'S Adults Only section at the top of the I/O forums, at iboats.com,...

I find the Best way to do the job is to mount the transom assembly,...
Hang the motor on a hook, attach the aft motor mounts, then with an alignment bar, align it,...
That gives ya the Exact spot to build yer motor mount blocks up to,...
Goin' off the drawin's only gets ya sorta close,....

Thanks guys. Yes, I have the transom drilled and that was part of my plan. I just figured something lighter would be easier on 1 person.

I also found the Merc Manual for the installation on the 3.0 power package. After reviewing it, it appears to be almost identical to what I have.

It looks like the chain and block method will be my best bet. Good thing I have an I-beam above it.

Remind me one day to tell you guys what it was like taking that beast out with a come-a-long:) scaaaaaary......

Back