Logo

Dark orange gas

Toxophilite

Contributing Member
I have an 84 johnson 4 hp seahorse
I did some work on it and had a thread going here
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-fo...orse-general-informations-needed&goto=newpost

I recently made a new hjose ofr it using the old ends and bulb. I bought some SAE30 R7 fuel line and assembled it.
Then I took my little sailboat out and didn't my motor run lousy
bogging down , then speeding up , then slowing right down, speeding up, quitting etc etc.
It had been running perfectly when I had taken it out 2 weeks earlier. I run the carb out and run it in fresh water after boating.

Anywho I was looking at it today, thinking I would examine the NEW factor 'the hose' and disconnecting it from the tank and depressing the ball valve I squirted a bunch of dark orange gas into a jar..Weird!
So I checked the gas in the tank. pouring it into a jar (many times) and then into another gas tank and it all looked happy clear and light blue. There is a bit of a sulfure smell, but the gass really isn;t that old.THere was a wee bit of older gas in the tank(maybe half a litre) then a few litres were added a few weeks back and then a further 5 litres were added the time it wasn't running well. Of course the appropriate amount of 2 stroke oil was added each time.

Any ideas? IS it water? Is it the fuel line

It's still running funky

Hi
Well I have a plastic tank so it's not rust from the tank, I was just reading that ethanol and water makes an orangish emulsion. I guess I should try to completely dry out the tank , clean the carb and try it with new fuel as see what happens.
I did maybe leave the vent on the tank open for a while and though it was mostly undercover it could've gotten leaked on a bit. hmm
I'll try the cleaning first and see what happens. How're things down south?
On a happier note the engine starts pretty well first time even when cold

When the tank has alot of air in it and the vent is open it breathes with the rise and fall of the barometer. Allways close the vent when not in use and when storing for long periods just top the tank off and add some stabilizer.
It will breathe even more due to changes in temperature! Not only due to changes due to expansion and contraction of the air but also due to changes in the vapor pressure of the gasoline.

Back