Logo

Polish back to original aluminium

Bundy Bundy

Hey people's I own a 13ft tinny and want to get rid of the paint and also want to go to the original aluminium colour what do I have to do to get to that and would if affect the hull in any way

cheers peoples

Ayuh,.... Dumb idea,.... Once you remove all the paint, 'n polish the hull, which ya oughta be able to get done in a month of solid labor,....

The hull will start to corrode as Soon as yer done,...
Within a couple of months, it'll be back to the dull aluminum look,....
Aluminum will NOT stay polished,... it starts to oxidize, Instantly, as soon as ya stop polishin',....

A Better idea, would be to scuff up the paint that's there, 'n repaint it, any color ya want,.....

Ayuh,.... Dumb idea,.... Once you remove all the paint, 'n polish the hull, which ya oughta be able to get done in a month of solid labor,....

The hull will start to corrode as Soon as yer done,...
Within a couple of months, it'll be back to the dull aluminum look,....
Aluminum will NOT stay polished,... it starts to oxidize, Instantly, as soon as ya stop polishin',....

A Better idea, would be to scuff up the paint that's there, 'n repaint it, any color ya want,.....

So so what do you recommend to get rid of the paint are these things any good

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=350999365453

1. Sand it thoroughly and get off all paint but the most stubborn stuff.
2. Degrease thoroughly.
3. MOST IMPORTANT: Immediately after degreasing, prime with primer specific for aluminum. Interlux makes a good one I've used in the past for an aluminum motor extender. It's called Primocon, if I recall correctly
4. NOTE: Often it is recommended to use several coats of primer - up to five.
5. Once completely primed and dried (often several days) then paint with any good marine or industrial paint designed for primed metal/aluminum.

West Marine and Jamestown Distributors usually will have "how-to" instructions and videos because they sell a bunch of this stuff.

Here is a link to a "one coat" aluminum primer: http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...me=Hammerite+-+Galvanized+and+Aluminum+Primer

Back