Logo

Hydraulic Assist Steering

AB1

Hi,

I am looking for some advice please. I have searched the net, not finding any information on the steering system I have/had.

I have just purchased a boat and it had installed what I have been told is an old Mercury hydraulic assist steering. The motor is a 96 EFI 200 Mercury.

There is what looks like an oil reservoir with what I am assuming a pump with in as it has 12v power supplying it from the engine. 2 hydraulic hoses ran from the reservoir to the steering cylinder. See photo 1 and 2. The steering cylinder had a valve at one end and the rack and pinion steering cable pushed or pulled the valve, assisting in the engine moving left or right. The rack and pinion cable helped to move the engine too.

Photo 1.jpgPhoto 2.jpg

I have purchased a new hydraulic steering system as the old one had issues with the seals and have been told parts are no longer available.

The wiring appears to go from the pump to a relay. The relay looks like an addition. See photo 3.

Photo 3.jpg

There is a purple cable running to the relay that comes from something mounted on the rear of the engine that looks like it is not after market. See photo 4.

Photo 4.jpg

I wish to remove the cylinder and associated wiring, however, my concern is, it may be required. Can someone please help?? I hope I have supplied enough clear information.

Thanks you,

Andrew
Melbourne
Australia

Pretty sure the 2 solenoids are for the trim/tilt motor.
The hyd steering will just hook into the steering shaft where the old steering cable was.
No power needed.
Pics of the new unit?
The old stuff(wiring) just leave it in place. Unless you know for sure where it goes.
I've never seen one of these. How abut some more pics of the connections at the steering?

Back