Logo

Tilt pin on Mercury 2 stroke 60 HP BIGFOOT ?

skydayde

Hello,

I'm owner of a Mercury 2 stroke 60 HP Bigfoot on a SURTEES 4,7 m (NZ made) and very happy with both engine and boat.

My engine came new without tilt pin to adjust trim in; my local dealer says it is normal and it is not compatible as I have an electric trim.

In my case this stainless steel tilt pin would help to adjust the perfect trimming; using it could damage something ?

Thanks for your answer and kind attention.

Jean-Marc

Hi skydade,Welcome to the forum,
The dealer is correct in saying a pin doesn't come with electric trim,as the electric/power trim will hold the position you find best at any given time,depending on the load,position of the load in the boat,I'm thinking because you have a bigfoot,you push heavy loads,at the push of a button the plane can be adjusted without risking life and limb hanging over the transom to move a pin up or down a hole to get the bow down or up.
Some put a mark on the trim gauge when they find the best position,but again if the load varies,the trim will vary.If you do get a pin,it won't damage anything as long as you keep an ear to the pump when trimming in and the engine reaches the pin.Might bend the pin though

I'd still leave that pin out.

Many a tilt pin resides at the bottom of the river, dropped in the process of making a trim change.

Jeff

Not in a river,but in 6' of deep Sheephaven Bay I would chance diving in after it.:D:D Sandy bottom.The loss of the pin,though it was replaced,was the reason I fitted the trim rams before I intended,that and nearly falling head first into a lake in full view of a couple o' dozen people,oh,and on the wrong side of fifty:(doesn't help either.:D

Funny thing about objects dropped into the water: the little b*st*rds never fall straight down! Seriously. They must somehow develop little propellers that drive them horizontal for an astonishing distance.

Jeff

Tide/water flow/current catches any little offering on the object and pulls it,stronger the flow the further it'll travel,but then you knew that;):D
Apologies to skydayde for going off topic so to bring it back,power tilt trim should hold the motor in the optimum position without the need for a pin ;)

Hey all,

Thanks your good sense advises; I'll no go further with this idea of the tilt pin; I'm happy with the power trim anyway.
I'm happy to have joined this forum, seems serious and friendly.
Cheers
Skydayde

Power trim is really important for the best boat performance. A tiny bit more Up or DOWN trim can improve speed, gas mileage, and stop porpoising.

I use a Harbor Freight porta-power rig to operate my motor tilt--works slick!

Jeff

Back