Logo

Best wood & glue to use for floor runners to glue on fiberglass:

hobobob

I need to attach 3 rows 12" apart of 1" wide x 9' length x 3" height wood runners on fiberglass floor. The channel to lay the wood in is fiberglass bottom & sides. I will be gluing 3/4" marine plywood with a few stainless screws on top of the runners with carpet stapled with stainless staples on top of that. I need to know if 100% silicone caulking will be okay to use as the glue and what kind of wood will hold up best without getting into a large cost. I will only be using this for approx. 10 to 12 years.

Without pics of the boat its hard to give advice...but here is what i think..if possible i would use 2x2's for the runners if the bottom is a straight run and you dont have to cut for a curve...have you priced marine plywood?..i think thats overkill if you are going to carpet over it..i would consider 1/2 inch treated plywood.....whatever you use make sure you prime and paint(including the under side) after you do the cuts if any...if you are going to fish out of the boat do not get loop carpet because of fishhooks getting caught in it..silicone caulk will probably work ok to tack the runners down..you might consider liquid nails ln715.. [h=1][/h]

Back