Logo

Mercury Mariner Question

iansmotor

I am trying to find some parts for my sailboats 5-HP Mariner. I have had this boat and motor for almost 10 years and I purchased both used. The Model # and Serial # all almost gone and nearly illegible. I have attached a picture of both. Fortunately I was able to find the motor information that I wrote down long ago in my boat file case. The Model is 5ML and the Serial # is 433488 the Code # is 6E3L. These numbers do not show up when I try to seach for parts. It seems that I remember having this problem years ago. It is a long shaft so the "L" in the 5ML probably stands for that. The Serial # is a mystery though. Any help would be appreciated. I just need some gaskets for the carb, a fuel filter and a fuel connector for the motor. Thanks

You actually have a Yamaha Mariner built for/marketed by Merc.

6E3 - Yamaha designator for (their own) model 5C which they began building in 1980 - this is simply a Yamaha with Mariner decals on it.

L - indicates it is a long shaft - designed for a 20" transom

433488 - is the actual serial number part = 1989 model

And yes, the 5ML parts breaks down as 5 = horsepower M= manual or rope start (from factory) L = Long shaft

Here is a link to the parts for your particular model - http://www.mercruiserparts.com/selectDocs.asp?doc_nbr=96387

A very limited number of parts are still available from these from Merc. You may also find parts at a Yami dealer if you have one near by. They would have your model listed as a 1981 or 1982 model 5C "Yamaha".

Back