Logo

1984 60 hp outboard carb issue

tommy4132

I bought a boat with a 60 hp mercury outboard motor on it. I was able to start but no fuel, Pulled off the carbs to clean, which they needed badly and when I went to pull off the gasket, this is what I found. First picture is how I found the gasket and the third is how I assume it is suppose to go.

Attachments

• carbs 001.jpg
    carbs 001.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 45
  • carbs 002.jpg
    carbs 002.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 45
  • carbs 003.jpg
    carbs 003.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 46
While I have the carbs out I am going to rebuild them also. The boat is kind of a side project right now, I am sad to say I had to borrow a battery and a fuel tank just to see what I was up against. I will start to put some money into it after the holidays, just tinkering right now. I just figured you guys would appreciate the backwards gasket.

I sure did!

Be sure to plug the dopey water line going from the exhaust adapter below the power head (right side) to the fuel pump. The impeller (which needs changing) is too small on these motors, leading to fried top pistons. Trust me on this!

Jeff

I sure did!

Be sure to plug the dopey water line going from the exhaust adapter below the power head (right side) to the fuel pump. The impeller (which needs changing) is too small on these motors, leading to fried top pistons. Trust me on this!

Jeff

Since you mentioned this on my other post, I am going to assume it is important. First, I want to verify exactly what I am plugging and by plugging, do you mean cut the line and plug the line coming from the exhaust adapter. (This is all greek to me). The pictures shows where I assume you are talking about. Now by me doing this, what will now happen to prevent my top piston from getting fried. Was this just a design flaw? I assume if it works correctly, the engine is fine, but if it fails, I will not get enough water to the top piston.

Attachments

• carbs.jpg
    carbs.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 39
check the compression on this one before you spend any money on it...

When I first started messing around with the engine, I pulled the plugs and put my thumb over each hole to see if there was anything and there was. Now maybe this means nothing, I will admit, I am newb. Anyways, I was able to start it up right up. For the three seconds it ran off the starting fluid, it ran real smooth. Once again, maybe this means nothing also. I am restoring a old 1970 something Glassmaster. My goal is to put a new motor on it. I am hoping to use this engine as training for my self. So rebuilding the carbs is really just practice for me, with that being said, I will take any and all advice. I would like to get this engine running if possible. If anything, just to see if I can.

When I first started messing around with the engine, I pulled the plugs and put my thumb over each hole to see if there was anything and there was. Now maybe this means nothing, I will admit, I am newb. Anyways, I was able to start it up right up. For the three seconds it ran off the starting fluid, it ran real smooth. Once again, maybe this means nothing also. I am restoring a old 1970 something Glassmaster. My goal is to put a new motor on it. I am hoping to use this engine as training for my self. So rebuilding the carbs is really just practice for me, with that being said, I will take any and all advice. I would like to get this engine running if possible. If anything, just to see if I can.

Oh, I forgot, yes I will check the compression like you said to see if each cylinder is close to each other. What is an acceptable difference between each one?

That's the one but, before you go any further, do a compression test. It may already be too late for the top piston (as I've found in 3/4 of the cases). Depending on the tester used, you should see about 130 to 150 pounds with a variation of less than 15 pounds.

All you need is to put an 1/8 NPT pipe plug in that hole.

Jeff

Typical. I've had good luck with similar compression readings, but I'd run some Power Tune or other ring freeing stuff through it, to loosen up those top piston rings.

Jeff

Sounds good, thanks for your advice. I will get that 1/8 NPT pipe plug and I will also make sure I replace the impeller. Any quick tips for removing lower unit on these motors and re-installing them.

I dont remember a bolt under tab but I rarely work on anything under a 75 these days...35+years in business you tend to forget a few things:cool:

Back