Logo

40hp mercury classic

the cod father

hi i am a new member with a 40hp mercury classic we took it out at the weekend got it started eventually but it would not go above half throttle
some people say it could be the stator.and some people say it could the trigger.now i am totally lost.
is there anyone out there that could give me some advise on where to start any advise would be most appreciated...phil:mad::confused:

hi jeff sorry about the delay could not login right not sure off year but i think its late eighties/early nineties its a 4cyl oil injection as i said we do get it started
it will idle all day but turn it off and it wont start if we do get it going it will not above 7knots n full throttle all the engine was rebuilt before we brought it we have 100psi on cylinders thats about all i know.....phil

the carbs are opening all the way and it dose flood how hight should psi be also i have noticed that when hold the trigger cable i can move it backwards and forewards
is that normal or should it be tight

Last edited:
not to sure what you meen pump bulb to 15 pounds i no the psi on all cylinders is 100PSI but like i said the trigger looks like it is loose inside the flywheel
i am taking the flywheel of this weekend as i say it runs sweet but just cannot get more than 7knots useing GPS speed

Back