Logo

1999 Mercury 225 3.0 EFI saltwater edition - oil light question

scb71

I took my boat out for the first time in a while over the weekend. It started right up and ran fine although was a little sluggish/choppy early on. I was thinking probably some less than fresh gas I'm burning through. After a while though I noticed the red light on the basic warning system came on. It was the oil can looking picture that was lit.

I stopped the boat and waited a moment. Restarted and there was no light. It would go without the light for a while and then every so often it would reappear.

There is plenty of oil in the oil tanks - it is a 2 stroke EFI. I later took off the top cover and the oil tank side mounted to the motor was totally full as well.

I could probably use a regular service since it has not had one recently as well. I am fairly handy and like to do many things myself but I've done any engine maintenance on this boat yet so it would all be new to me.

Any ideas?
thanks!

My neighbor was having the same problem.
He took it to the dealer and they hooked to a computer and they ended up adjusting the oil pump???
Something about the pump not delivering the right amount??
Not sure if it was the problem but it helped with the running for about 4 months then it blew-up??

Back