Logo

battery charging

iceman748

Contributing Member
help, mercury 45-50 84 i think,cant get the serial no,problem is,not charging the battery, got the boat last year with the engine,carbs done,fuel lines,new spark plugs,starts and runs well,took of the rectifier and is good,but i noticed there is only two wires,one red one grey and nothing going to stator,its a 4 cylinder 2 stroke
thanks

yes its the same one,got a feeling it has been changed before with a pull start one,only a guess,will try a put some photos on

Last edited:
Usually, it's a bad rectifier--that square lump that three wires go to. You can tell by using a volt meter. The two yellow wires need to make around 17 volts AC (as I recall); the other wire to ground should make around 12.5 volts DC to ground at idle, increasing to 14 plus as the motor revs up.

Jeff

if you dont see the two wires coming from under the stator to feed the rectifier you are probably right on the wrong stator being put in at some point...if the ignition is the only thing you are going to use the battery for and the motor is in good shape and starts as it should you can use it with confidence as it is..a good battery has many starts in it before it needs charging..use a 2nd battery for trolling motor etc..

There are a number of bolts on the flywheel,eight I think.Remove them and the flywheel lifts off without removing the crankshaft nut.The only thing you must do is make sure that the wheel goes back in the exact position that it was in before removal.So a mark on the flywheel and a coinciding mark on the block to help.I usually remove first bolt,drop a bit of tippex into said hole and mark same on flywheel.

Last edited:
Note to all: If you don't know which orientation the flywheel goes back on--one of 8 positions--it's easy to find out. Find TDC for the top cylinder by rotating the crank: put a screw driver in the plug hole and feel the piston come to top dead center. Then drop the flywheel on so the timing pointer shows TDC.

Jeff

thats a different stator ,those are the only numbers on mine,the nearest stator numbers i can get are 398-5454A26 and it has the two yellow wires ,they are on ebay

Back