Logo

Mercury Tracker 115hp two stroke oil injection issue

mastercraftka

I have a 1999 tracker 115hp with oil injection. How do i know it is working? It seems like i have alot of oil collecting in the bottom the base of the engine.

thanks

Mike

You perform the following test -

oil pump test 3-4 cylinder.jpg

However, unless you have a broken/rotted oil line or a bad fitting the oil may be coming from the powerhead itself.

More often oil in the lower cowl is the result of a failed gasket or seal somewhere. A main seal on the crank (lower), a bad base gasket or a bad gasket on the transfer covers is often the culprit - sometimes even a disconnected bleed line will cause what you see.

The gas/oil escapes through the bad gasket/seal, the gas evaporates and leaves the oil behind. Yes, this is still "bad" because it means 1) you are wasting gas 2) you are not getting full power 3) you are "oil starving" the motor.

So do the oil pump test (these don't fail very often) and if the results are positive, start looking for the source of the leak.

Clean everything up, run the motor for a bit and the source may be more obvious...

Ya i was hoping that it is just a broken supply line or something simple, It it is dripping out of the base pretty good into the boat. When i put my hand over the carbs when running i do see oil in the gas. Do i need to take the oil container off to get to those lines in order to do the test?

If its unmixed oil ( same as in tank) dripping in transom look at the oil supply line to oil pump and oil cap as these crack very often.

Back