Logo

Mercury 15 HP rebuild project

Danmarin

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2007 Mercury 15 HP 4 stroke. I recently was running this motor at about 90% throttle for about 10 min and it immediately **** off. I then restarted the motor and verified that the Tell-Tale was shooting water, but noted that the water was not warm at all. I then ran for about another 2 min and the motor shut off again. I took off the cowling and the motor seems extremely hot (the oil dipstick plastic was noticeably soft and dangerous to grab). After a few checks, I decided that i needed to get back to the ramp, the motor would not restart. After getting it home (2hours later), the motor started again in the driveway. I noticed engine oil seeping from the prop (exhaust). I checked the compression, but couldn't get anything higher than 60psi to show up on either cylinder.

I have completely torn apart the motor, but the rings, cylinders and pistons all look okay. The head gasket seemed normal too. Any ideas what could have caused all these issues? should I just replaced all the gaskets and put some new rings in it and try again?

Thanks for the help on this.

Back