Logo

Water coming from midsection? 1995 25hp

AluminumFalcon

Just bought this little motor and I'm having a problem with the cooling system.

I took the LU off today, and the waterpump seems to be decent. I greased it and reassembled it.

The motor starts fine but I barely get a few drops from the pee hole. (only ran it about 20 secs)Water was gushing out of the cutout (where you can see the shift rod).

I can blow in the top tube and hear air leaking out around the mid section of the motor (not up on the terminology sorry!)

I have the tools and the time, just not the talent!
Let me say a big THANK YOU for the help everyone here provides.

Suggestions would be appreciated :)

Are you sure the water tube is lined up correctly? If you missed it when the LU went back on, that's what it will do.

There is a thermostat on these motors, however, and it could be tricking you. Let it idle for a few minutes and see if you can keep your hand on the left side exhaust cover. You should be able to IF the water is going thru it okay.

Jeff

Are you sure the water tube is lined up correctly? If you missed it when the LU went back on, that's what it will do.

There is a thermostat on these motors, however, and it could be tricking you. Let it idle for a few minutes and see if you can keep your hand on the left side exhaust cover. You should be able to IF the water is going thru it okay.

Jeff
Thank so much for the reply. I didn't realize this motor had a thermostat but I see it now in the diagrams. It probably doesn't help that my impeller has bent vanes (new one on the way)

I removed the lower unit, and I can hook up a hose to the upper pilot tube and water comes out of the water tube fine, but it doesn't go the opposite way. When I use the hose to put water in the tube from the bottom, it just comes back out of the midsection (I guess that could be the thermostat preventing it from running?).

That caused me to worried that the upper water tube seal was bad.How can I check it without dropping the midsection?

Thanks again, I'm dying to get out on the water but I want to be sure my motor is up to the task.

Cold water won't come out since the t-stat is closed.

Jeff
You were right in the money.
I put a new impeller, impeller housing, and tube seal in it, drilled and tapped the dang bolt I broke getting the therm housing off grrr, took a bug cocoon out of the thermostat, checked the thermostat, in hot water. Put everything back together and its running great.
It's only pushing my 15' boat up to 19 gps mph (with 2 people) but it comes out of the water quick.
Now to try and get a bit more top speed....
Thanks again

Back