Logo

TiltTrim goes down but not up

coolhand

" This thing is becoming a hea

" This thing is becoming a headache! I was attempting to change my lower unit oil so I lowered the motor to let more oil out. Completed this project, so I went to raise the motor for transport to the lake & nothing.
When I hit the trim up switch, all I hear is a clicking noise coming from a relay on the motor. I replaced the relay that seems to be clicking, but that only trips the circuit braker that the "hot wire" comes from. With the "old" relay it does continue to go down, but it will not go up. Any hints or other trouble shooting idea's? Please help!

Jim "

"Coolhand..... The electric mo

"Coolhand..... The electric motor is a two wire dual polarity motor, meaning that if it works in one direction, it'll work in the other direction. Since it works in the down mode, the electric motor is okay.

You say that when you re-installed the relay, the engine would now operate in the down mode, which identifies that relay as the down mode relay. The other relay (Up Mode, next to it) would, in all probability, be the faulty one (usually the case).

If you installed a new relay in that down mode socket, then blew fuses or something of that nature, but the old relay worked fine.... and you did nothing besides that, I would think that either that new relay is faulty or you accidently shorted out a wire somehow. Let us know what you find.

Joe
"

" Well, you get what you pay f

" Well, you get what you pay for....
I went to the auto parts store and they said it was a pretty common relay, they cross referenced the "faulty" relay in their computer & brought out a new relay for me. The new one ($11.59)didn't have a hold down bracket on it, so after researching their book we found one on the shelf that had the bracket & matched the required voltage #'s. That was the one that I brought home and prceeded to trip the breaker with.
So I figured what the heck, back to the store I go for the "expensive" bracketless relay. Brought it home plugged it in, voila'... EVERYTHING looks identical on these relays. I cannot explain why it would make a difference, all the numbers match, except one works and the other doesn't.
In the end, it was a faulty relay, easy fix with the "right" parts. Thanks Joe for getting back with me.

Jim "

"Joe:
OMC help.
have a 1993

"Joe:
OMC help.
have a 1993 150 Evenrude Intruder and my trim on it will only go up not down. I read about relay... seems like my problem. Where is the relays// and where do I buy one for this engine, I live in NY.
is the relay the problem? It was working fine one minute and then it would not go down.. HELP

[email protected]"

"Smielewski.... Trace the wire

"Smielewski.... Trace the wires back from the electric PTT motor. That will lead you right to the relay junction box. Relays can be purchased from any OMC dealership, and probably NAPA stores.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

i am having a problem with my

i am having a problem with my trim unit on a 125 force also. i can get to come down allright but it will not go up. motor is working

" I have a 1983 Mercury 50hp w

" I have a 1983 Mercury 50hp with the same problem, sometimes it works, sometimes I just get a clicking sound...any advice? "

Back