Logo

Sea star hydraulic steering problem

Chillywilly

Have the seastar system, single station front mount. Basically lost all steering response so i diligently refillled and then purged repeatedly the system to clear air and got a smooth flow. Now moving at low speed the steering is better, responsive but not smooth. Moving at high speed I have no immediate steering response and must turn the wheel repeatedly to get turning response. Not good, in fact dangerous. I have rechecked hoses and connections, no visible leaks. Not sure how to proceed for a resolve. Guidance appreciated.

The "not smooth" part indicates something is amiss....do the pump's check valves woork when you turn the wheel hard over to both sides? if not, one may be stuck partially open.

The other item to check is the cylinder's pivot mount...if it is corroded, it can induce that condition as well...also, it can induce a side load on the cylinder and cause leakage there...

If they are both good, then bleed it again. Once done, check the cylinder to make sure it isn't drifting...if that is ok, I'd bet on the pump needing an overhaul...a good hydraulic shop can likely perform that task.

The model I have is HC5345. Not sure where the check valve are located, same for pivot mount. Where could I find that to do this work myself. Many thanks.

Sorry. Steering repairs along with engine controls should be left to a professional or someone with Knowledge of the systems. Too much Liability.

Last edited:
Did a complete purge and fluid refill today. A lot of air in the system especially on one side. I suspect that's an issue given the symptoms I described. So where is the air coming in. No leaks I replaced the o ring on the vent cap and no fluid is in the transom nor the bildge. So where could air be getting into the system ?

fittings or a seal where something moves....

If the system was filled at one time, it has to leak out in order for air to get in...and it may take a while for enough of it to accumulate to been seen in the bilge. never hurts to give your lines a thorough inspection, especially if they are the plastic ones..

Back