Logo

Boat length

Hopefully this is the right area of the forum for this...
I have a 1974 Reinell Open bow Tri-hull, OMC Stern Drive.
The title lists it as 21' in length. HIN matches on both the title and the hull.
I also have a 20 foot 1969 Fiberform with a Mercruiser sterndrive, which is an obvious 2-3 feet longer when they are side by side.

This weekend, I took a tape to the Reinell, and it is 17' from end to end.

My question is: How did they come up with a 21' measurement? Are they adding the length of the outdrive leg in it's fully raised position? If so, why isn't the Fiberform measured in the same way?

I'm trying to sell the boat and have had two disappointed potential buyers expecting a 21' hull only to come out and find 17'. Trying to explain why the title says one thing but the actual length is different causes a few eyebrows to raise in suspicion, so I'm hoping to find a definitive answer...

Anyone have any ideas?

its a sales thing....some measure the length of the boat only...some include everything including motors and out drives and bow additions etc...swim platforms...four feet is stretching it a bit but three feet is not that uncommon... i replaced a 15 foot boat with a 17 foot boat once...actually kept the old one..they were sitting side by side at my camp and i said there is no difference in length...so i measured it and there wasnt much..just a different way to measure it....the old boat was actually 16 feet three inches...
the coast guard measures boats from the tip of the bow to the back edge of the transom with the tape on top ....

Back