Logo

Epoxy patch on a polyester bottom

byterbit

I repaired my polyester keel bottom with an epoxy resin and glass patch. (about a square foot). During the patch work I sanded off the gelcoat for the patch down to the original fiberglass. I left about 1 inch of gelcoat around the patch which I’ve de-waxed with Interlux 202. I’ve used AeroMarine 300/11 epoxy resin, which I was told was waterproof, to wet my glass patches. Nonetheless I’m about to apply Interlux Interprotect 2000e as the outside bottom layer , just to be sure of a waterproof bottom.

A few questions:
1) Generally speaking am I on the right track ?

I read in Interlux literature that an undercoat of epoxy resin should be used prior to the application of the 2000e barrier coat.
2) Assuming I was correctly told the AeroMarine 300/11 is water proof does it properly substitute for Interlux Epiglass in this ?

I am concerned about the “interface” between the old and the new. As the epoxy is sticking well to the old de-waxed gelcoat in my tests my thought is to epoxy over the inch border of gelcoat and then paint over this with the 2000e, thus making a waterproof boarder and seal around the painted patch.
3) Am I right in doing it this way ?

4) How waterproof is 2000e paint generally ? It seems mostly used over gelcoat. Is it enough here or should I consider using gelcoat on top of the patch and then paint ? I’ve read ( from reliable sources doing controlled tests) that gelcoat can in fact stick to epoxy.

Back