Logo

90 HP Ignition Issues

akig0711

I have a Mercury 90 HP outboard ser #0g197967 that will not start. I have plenty of juice from the battery and the starter seems to be spinning fast enough. I have taken the voltage coming out of the red stator adaptor (blue wire) going to the switch box and am getting around 230 Volts on a DVA meter. I'm getting the same out of the stop wire (black/yellow wire). I have 2 sources telling me that my voltage should be at 190V or 180 to 400V. At cranking should it be as high as 230V or does it matter as long as it's above 180? I have tested for switch box output and am getting nothing coming out of the switch box to the coils. My ohms checks show that all primaries are reading at 0 ohms (i'm using an analog meter so the exacts are unknown.) For the secondaries coil 1 is bad at 18000 ohms and both 2 and 3 are slightly low at 750 ohms, i'm willing to say that 2 and 3 are probably good. My questions are,

Are my stator adaptor and stop wire voltage readings to high?
Does it look like I have a bad switch box or could 1 bad coil cause the switch box to not send the voltage?
Is 750 ohms on the coil low enough to call that coil bad?

Back