Logo

88-89? Mairner 45 hp 4cylinder no spark

ROCKBOTTOM

We have a pontoon with a 88-89? Mariner 45 hp 2 stroke 4 cylinder, serial #0B205688. It sat for a couple years, due to the carbs needing to be rebuilt and me not having the time/motivation to mess with it. Got her out this year, and rebuilt carbs. Then it didnt want to start, no spark on all 4 cylinders. Read some forums and the first test I did was kill switch (black/yellow wire) and she fired right up! Bypassed the kill switch and put it on a toggle. Replaced the water pump, put it in the water and went about a half mile up river. My buddy had given me a fuel tank he had laying around and i noticed the ball was suctioning shut so I shut it down and floated it back home. I put my old tank/lines back on it (these worked fine, his just looked nicer), tried to start it up not even 20 minutes later and again no spark on all 4 cylinders. Pulled it out of the water and we did some testing with the meter, the stator had no reading. I ordered a stator from CDI, put it on, and still nothing!! Upon inspection the old stator seemed to be in pretty good condition, so I'm thinking we need to explore other options? Any help, ideas, tests, would be greatly appreciated!! I am about ready to sink it!!

If the stator windings are reading open, it is shot--new or otherwise. CDI has a guarantee for its products. Have you contacted them?

Jeff

Tested the stator last night, its good. I had a stator problem (I think) and that has been replaced. However still no spark!! So what to check now? Anybody know how to test the switchbox?? Maybe the mercury switch? What do I need to look at that could be causing no spark on all 4 cylinders?? Help!!

You want to disconnect the mercury switch and toss it out. (Tap the wire so it won't touch.) If still no spark on all 4, I suggest trying another switch box (eBay).

Jeff

Is there anyway to test the switchbox before replacing it? How likely is it to have a bad stator and switchbox? I am getting tired of throwing parts at this thing!! I will disconnect the mercury switch tonight, fingers crossed!! We live on the river, and are dying to get out there on the water! Thanks Jeff!

The switch box can not be tested--it takes a computer. The rest of the stuff can be tested with an ohm meter.

Good luck! I too am eager to get out on the river, having had ignition problems all summer.

Jeff

Back