Logo

115 4 stroke - need help w/ power loss

JEdmunds

I'm having trouble giving my engine throttle after a period of idling. When I turn the engine off and back on - I'm able to take right off with full speed and it runs fine. I'm baffled. The engine appears to idle fine. My first trip out this year, I could not get up on a plane at all. It seemed to be bogging down and having trouble getting fuel. So, I replaced the spark plugs, in-line fuel filter and the engine mounted fuel filter. The engine mounted fuel filter had a lot of popcorn kernel looking debris which turned out to be coming from an 8" piece of grey fuel line next to my bulb... which I replaced. I also put some SeaFoam in my tank. The engine is running much better; however, if I'm idling for a few minutes I still get the bogging down when trying to throttle up. Any ideas??? I'm thinking it could be a stuck float in the fuel injection pump.

I'm having trouble giving my engine throttle after a period of idling. When I turn the engine off and back on - I'm able to take right off with full speed and it runs fine. I'm baffled. The engine appears to idle fine. My first trip out this year, I could not get up on a plane at all. It seemed to be bogging down and having trouble getting fuel. So, I replaced the spark plugs, in-line fuel filter and the engine mounted fuel filter. The engine mounted fuel filter had a lot of popcorn kernel looking debris which turned out to be coming from an 8" piece of grey fuel line next to my bulb... which I replaced. I also put some SeaFoam in my tank. The engine is running much better; however, if I'm idling for a few minutes I still get the bogging down when trying to throttle up. Any ideas??? I'm thinking it could be a stuck float in the fuel injection pump.

I removed the intake manifold to access the fuel injection pump. Fine particles of the fuel line had made it through the engine mounted fuel filter into the fuel injector pump bowl and had clogged up the filter of the fuel injector pump. I cleaned up the filter and reassembled the pump and intake. I tried cleaning the fuel injectors; but, I don't believe I accomplished much. Back in the water... the engine seemed to run fine. I think I'll take the injectors to a professional just to make sure they are spraying properly.

Back