Logo

Mercury 20HP Gear Shift seized!

Neptune1980

H al
I've got a Mercury 20HP engine on our CJR14 boat. Its been in storage throughout the winter and we fitted it back to the transom a couple of weeks ago and noticed it was really stiff going into forward and reverse gear. Checked all the cables and they a free flowing and fine, however noticed that the gear lever on the side of the engine is really very tight to push forward or back. It eventually seized up completely and now wont move.
Decided to ensure it wasn’t agearbox problem, so dropped the leg, but it was still seized solid. Notice thatthe drive shaft was also seized, so took apart the water pump housing and foundthe impeller was knackered. Removed it and the drive shaft span freely and withthe help of some mole grips am able to change the gear into forward, reverseand neutral – so its not a problem with the gearbox.

Started to look at the gear shiftmechanism and moved the carb out of the way to get a closer look and found theshift gear to be seized!
I am able to gently tap the gearshift to move it (just!) using an aluminium bar and hammer but its reallystiff/seized onto the shaft/bush. Sprayed it all over with releasing fluid and continuedto tap it to-and-fro, but it’s still stiff.

Thought to see if it had freed itup enough, so re-assembled the shift mechanism, but its still seized solid andhas made no difference. I think the problem is with this gear or the attachedshaft that then connects to the gearbox in the bottom leg.
Anyone got any ideas or had thisbefore???
Really need some help as Ive beentinkering every night this week and running out of time before my 2 weekfishing holiday!
Thanks

Attachments

• GEAR  3.jpg
    GEAR 3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 85
The only suggestion I can make is apply heat and plenty of WD40 or similar product,be careful these products are extremely flammable, and keep moving it constantly until it frees up.

Its free. Used boiling water from the kettle to un-clog the salt crystal that was seizing the gear to the bush and by gently tapping it to and fro managed to loosen it up.Sprayed loads of plus gas around it and then repeated the boiling water andplus gas routine for about another 3 full kettles worth. Its now running freeas a bird. Happy days.
Need a new water pump impeller and gear box oil and it will be good as new......fingers crossed.

Had a bit of difficulty getting the leg back on, took a couple of attempts, but by putting the engine into neutral and manually putting the gearbox into neutral it finally slid on like a glove. Just need a new impeller and some gearbox oil now.

Aaagh! You went through the agony of putting the LU back on without first changing the impeller? Are you mad!

Jeff

PS: Standing the motor on its head makes putting the LU on easier.

Hi jeff
the new impeller arrived today.
I only put the leg on to make sure the gears were sync'd correctly, it's coming back off later in the week to fit the impeller.
thanks

Okay. Be careful not t6o get the shifter parts misaligned as you stuff it back up. The coupling (that has a blind spline) goes together (correctly) only one way; jam it together the wrong way and it will yank the shifter shaft out of the LU when you drop it again.

Jeff

Back