Logo

Rebuilding 1970 Merc 500 Ignition Driver, wiring etc.

Roadblock

The 3 wires that come off my ignition driver on my 1970 Merc 500 are toast. The casing is completely cracked and chunks have fallen off. I could see exposed wiring with corrosion.

The 3 wires are covered with about 10 inches of heat shielding so I decided to pull that off, cut back the wires and solder on new leads with new connections.

Unfortunately after cutting off about 8~10 inches of wiring I discovered that all of the copper wiring is affected by copper oxide corrosion making it next to impossible to solder on leads. I ended up dipping the ends of the wiring in Hydrochloric Acid to dissolve the copper oxide and lean the wiring up enough to make it take solder and then I still had to use a solder that was 40/60 with an acid flux core. I got the acids cleaned the best I could but I would just like to replace the wiring all the way threw.

Does anyone make a replacement ignition driver harness that connects internally or has anyone ever built one themselves?

Just the little bit of rewiring I did made a MAJOR improvement with the engine. A week ago, it wasn't running at all and now it rips so I'd really like to get those wires replaced and then I'm working on rebuilding my whole wiring harness. I started buying the different gauges of marine grade wire from my local Marine shop with the plans to start right after the holiday weekend.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions!

Back