Logo

1988 350 Crusader wont start

mcolello

I have a 1988 Cruiser with twin 350's Port side will not start , I have changed the following Plugs , coil wires distributor cap, rebuilt carburetor, alternator . It turns over fast have tried advancing the timing an still wont go, I noticed the transmission sensor was broken but don't think that will stop it from starting. I have spark carbs getting fuel and she still wont go trying to find resistor from the coil to see if its burned out but cant locate it. I am not sure what else to try any help will be grateful. other engine starts right up will be changing fuel filter s this evening and water separator. Some one also said try jumping the coil but not sure how to do that ?
Please I am desperate any suggestions greatly appreciated :(

Jump the coil - Run a hot wire from the battery to the Plus + side of the coil, then crank to start. Remember if it does start, you must pull this wire off to shut down the engine, you're bypassing the key.

I have tried jumping coil and replacing the coil still wont start have 7 volts at the coil with the key switch wondering of something Is loading it down

any suggestion what else to try have swapped out the cdi cap an rotor with starboard side an it runs , replaced the alternator a well still no luck

If you have a kill switch for that motor, track it back to your engine and disconnect it, then try to start. It is normally the black/yellow wire. If engine starts, you have a short in the key switch, the kill switch, or the wire is grounded somewhere.

If you have a kill switch for that motor, track it back to your engine and disconnect it, then try to start. It is normally the black/yellow wire. If engine starts, you have a short in the key switch, the kill switch, or the wire is grounded somewhere.

ok will give that a try today thanks will let you know if she starts thanks

I had change the coil out with a nappa part no# 903 it say use with external resistor i traced all wires out and there is no resisitor does that mean
the old coil had the resistor built into it ? it has a beige top and seems a little wider. Or should I just get an external resistor ? when we put resistance through an ohm meter she almost started .. it seem like the likely suspect at this point .. will up date

Back