Logo

65:1 mixture? 1976 55 Johnson - HELP

Tommy Borgmann

Hey guys, just curious... I bought a 16' skiff with a '76 55hp johnson outboard on it and a 15 gallon tank. The PO told me that he runs about 2 ounces of oil per every gallon of gas. I did that at first, and she ran pretty good. No issues at all. After finding out that the mixture is really 50:1, I quickly put the right amount of oil in her. I have to say, she's decreased in speed and performance - not by A LOT, but it's noticeable. Could have also been an issue with my carbs flooding, too, but I wanted to find out if you guys think it's dangerous to run it at 65:1 or 2 ounces per every gallon of gas. I rebuilt the carbs now, and want to take her back down to 2 ounces per every gallon if it won't hurt the engine.

BTW, I was using Pennzoil, but seeing some of the threads here makes me want to stay away from it from now on. I was looking at Amsoil, Quicksilver, and XD-50. What do you recommend? If I went with the Amsoil, would running it at 80:1 be the same as running regular two stroke oil at 80:1 instead of the 50:1 recommended by the manufacture? I'd only go with Amsoil for this feature. Can the XD-100 run at 100:1 or 80:1 on my engine? Any advice is appreciated!!!

Back