Logo

Stuck Hydraulic Steering

StingerDan

I have a 2002 130 Honda BF and after setting for the Winter under my carport , went to go fishing, and my steering won't turn. Steering wheel is tight, so it doesn't appear to be the hydraulics.I greased it real good and tried to shoot some W-D 40 into the steering arm to no avail. BTW it happened first trip last year, but a hard jerk on the wheel broke it free and we were off. Any suggestions?

unhook the steering arm from the motor and see if the problem is the steering or the motor...if it is the steering them back off the big nut attaching it to the motor and try to remove the rod...you may try to get some spray penetrating oil in there but if it failed a year ago and you let it go then new steering may be in your future..if not this year then sooner or later...

unhook the steering arm from the motor and see if the problem is the steering or the motor...if it is the steering them back off the big nut attaching it to the motor and try to remove the rod...you may try to get some spray penetrating oil in there but if it failed a year ago and you let it go then new steering may be in your future..if not this year then sooner or later...
Thank you very much for your response. I'll give that a try. Any idea how much it will cost to replace if it is too far gone? Dan.

So Lucky it wasn't the hydraulics. Ya. It was the steering arm that goes through the motor and man was it froze! Finally got it loose and out. Cleaned everything up. Sanded and polished the sleeve. Greased everything , new o-ring, put it all back together. slides back and forth freely. will add fluid and bleed tonight. Fingers crossed. Dan

good....watch it close and take your finger and spread a little grease on the shaft every now and then...turn the motor where the most of the shaft is exposed to do so..for some unknown to me reason once these things lock up they require more attention from then on...not familiar with your setup but there may or may not be a grease fitting on it...if there is one there it usually is not for the steering...if you look close its for the vertical pivot point on the motor..i use the white stuff on the shaft...mental block on the name at the moment..lubri plate?...i keep a tube of it with the gun i use on buddy bearings..i dont use it every trip as i do the buddy bearings but it stares me in the face every time i get the gun to do the bearings...

Back