Logo

Replacing rack and pinion on 1989 Forester Phantom 190 with 4.3L Mrecruiser

jelwynn

Looking for steering play help. It seams that I have quite a bit of play in my steering. Looked at swivel shaft in back and found some play between the small square of the shaft and the steering arm which goes thru the transom. I discussed replacing the shaft with a reliable marine parts supplier. He didn't think it was worth doing the repair. I can move the outdrive side to side about 1 1/2 " with the play in the shaft. Can someone tell me if that is acceptable? I also have a good deal of play in the rack and pinion steering. It has a Teleflex helm. I can turn the wheel about an 1/8 turn before the gear actually moves the rack. This combined with the swivel shaft play makes for quite a bit of play. I'm thinking of repairing the front play by replacing the helm with a Teleflex Rack system. Is this best way to go without spending to much money. I have a 19 foot Phantom with 4.3 L Mercruiser. Has anyone done this repair on this old of a boat. Will the Rack system be plug and play or will I need to make modifications? Any way to adjust the existing rack and pinion to take the paly out?

Ayuh,..... Are ya havin' problems handlin' the boat at High speeds, or low speeds,..??

How does it behave at High speeds,..??

I get a lot of wandering at low speeds. Always had some, but seems to be getting worse. At higher speeds doesn't wander as much, but it takes a good 1/8th of a turn of the wheel to start changing direction. Of course at low speeds when correcting for wander, the wheel play makes it more difficult. Which is better the rack and pinion or the rotary? Are they easy installs? will I have to modify any of the original parts?

I get a lot of wandering at low speeds. Always had some, but seems to be getting worse. At higher speeds doesn't wander as much, but it takes a good 1/8th of a turn of the wheel to start changing direction. Of course at low speeds when correcting for wander, the wheel play makes it more difficult. Which is better the rack and pinion or the rotary? Are they easy installs? will I have to modify any of the original parts?

Ayuh,..... Boat steerin' is never as tight as yer car,.... Don't really sound like a problem to Me,....

The rotary, vs; rack comes down to the space available under the dash,...
Put back, what ya find,.....

Thanks Bondo, Have a rack and pinion system now. Ill probably live with it the rest of the season. If and when I change it I'll go with the same system. Listening to everybody, sounds like the play may be normal for a 1989 boat. I've been paying more attention at higher speeds and it seams like the boat isn't wandering except at low speeds. It just seems like the wheel must be turned a lot to change any direction. I guess if it gets worse I'll look at changing it. Thanks all.

Thanks Bondo, Have a rack and pinion system now. Ill probably live with it the rest of the season. If and when I change it I'll go with the same system. Listening to everybody, sounds like the play may be normal for a 1989 boat. I've been paying more attention at higher speeds and it seams like the boat isn't wandering except at low speeds. It just seems like the wheel must be turned a lot to change any direction. I guess if it gets worse I'll look at changing it. Thanks all.

Ayuh,.... Sounds like yer seein' "V-hull Wander",.... Most boats do it,....

Less operator input slows the wander, 'n most hulls come back to where they were goin' anyways,...
Only when yer in tight is it much problem,....
'n there's trim tabs that usually help, 'n some props help, or hurt,...

Back