Logo

High Voltage

California

While driving my boat at 35 mph my fish finder displayed "Input Voltage High." when I reduce speed to 10 mph it did not display Input Voltage High. Could this problem be the battery or the Voltage regulator?

model and year of the boat needed....does it have a regulator or just a rectifier?....did you just put a new battery in the boat?

a regulator should hold at about 14.8 volts...a rectifier only system will creep up....sometimes 16-17 volts and higher depending on the battery used...the battery should be the old type...non sealed..the kind you have to maintain with water level etc....take a multi meter and see exactly how high the voltage goes..has the fish finder just been added?

you could probably lust put a power resistor in the wire going to your fish finder. You'd have to measure the current draw of it, then use ohm's law to calc what resistor will bring it down a volt or two.

I think I will buy a new battery first to see if the battery is the problem. This boat has been parked for months, never had this problem before.

Back