Logo

Starter-Solenoid-Unique problem

dstixs5

This is my first post but have been a long time lurker.

I've got a 1999 Mercruiser 350 MPI - Ski/Inboard motor. I've got a strange issue with the solenoid/starting. The starter will not engage/turn over. I checked for 12v on the yellow/red wire at the starter, and regardless of key position, 12v is there. The starter solenoid will overheat within seconds(probably needs replacing again now). 12v on this wire 100% of the time. I did replace the starter before i found this issue(bench test failed). I then backed up to the slave solenoid. The solenoid will click once the key is turned. I found that both of the large posts on the solenoid are 12v regardless of key position. Going by various troubleshooting guides I've found out there, this is not right. The large yellow/red should only activate when the slave solenoid is engaged by the key. I'm not sure where there problem lies or where to even start now. Any suggestions would be much appreciated as I couldn't find any other posts out there with similar symptoms.

To be clear, I have replaced the starter and slave solenoid on top of the motor. There is 12v at both the large posts on the slave solenoid atop the motor.

Thanks
Brent

Back