Logo

S5.7V Reversing in neutral

nolamastercraft

Hello everyone, I am new to the forum. I have a Marine Power S5.7V installed in my mastercraft ski boat. I have very little background in dealing with boat or car engines, so please try to keep this in mind when reading this or providing answers. With that said, I have a problem that I would like to attempt to fix before asking a mechanic to look at it. When the controls (at helm) and the shift lever (at transmission) are in neutral, the engine is idling in reverse. I think this problem has been like this for a while, but I am just now trying to resolve the problem. I disconnected the shift linkage (at transmission) and gradually moved the lever forward to briefly find neutral. I should emphasize briefly, because neutral was also very difficult to hold for longer than a few seconds. So, if I found neutral in the forward position, how would I make an adjustment so that neutral is actually in the neutral position? Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.

What brand and model of transmission do you have? Why was it hard to keep it in neutral with linkage disconnected? Is the shaft just rotating very slowly when in neutral?

Welcome to ME.com!

Every marine gear I have worked on has a neutral detent for the control valve (where the linkage connects) to ensure the oil is directed properly...if you disconnect the linkage and have the control valve on the detent, then the output flange should be not spin with the engine running...if it does, and the correct oil is in the gear, it is likely to have internal issues that require a rebuild to resolve.

Back