Logo

Marine Power 5.7 engine service manual? I need the block and piston tolerances.

TerryW

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the correct manual (or other document) to use to read the block face and piston tolerances for what is now a 2 year old Marine Power 5.7 Model b350v please?

Many thanks.

Terry

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Click on this link, 'n download the Mercruiser manual for their motor, of Yer motor's vintage,....

They're Both Chevy motors, 'n the internal tolerances will be the same, for each vintage,...
Thanks for that Bondo I have the Mercruiser GM V-8 manual #24 already. Marine Power US advise me that I am using the wrong manual to measure cylinder block distortion and that I must use the Marine Power Manual.

Merc cylinder block distortion tolerance is 25% less than marine Power? Is the Merc block better made? I don't have a clue?

I asked for an explanation and got: Terry, see attached. As far as Mercrusier manuals deviating from GM specs Mercruiser has their own team of engineers that write their manuals as where we get our info directly from GM. What was the original reason you replaced the first engine ?

Marine Power were kind enough to send out the correct manual in paper form to my home address in the UK. They also supplied the tolerances for me. I am not sure that this will get my engine running but I'll have lots to read.

Many thanks

Terry

Hi Bondo,

Marine Power advise me that I need to use the manual they have kindly now supplied. The tolerances quoted in the Mercruiser GM V-8 manual do not apply to their engines. They are sending me a non-Mercruiser manual which is kind.

Terry

PS your inbox is full.

Last edited:
Terry, they are all using the GM SBC cylinder blocks. Some may be cast in Country, some out of Country.

You may see different cylinder block deck tolerances being used due to the different head gasket selections.
Piston skirt clearances may vary due to different piston selections.

If you want a better built engine, have one custom built, and say no to these.

Attachments

• Dished Piston.jpg
    Dished Piston.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 933
Back